If you have tried talking to everyone you can at the school’s offices you may have to consider legal action. As unpleasant as it can be to throw yourself at and into the legal system, your best recourse here may be to sue the school district. For that, you will likely need the help of a lawyer. Talk to several lawyers, experienced with these matters, who will help you understand if your complaints are reasonable within the current law.

Your first challenge will be finding an attorney who is qualified to handle your rather complicated claim.

For starters, you may have a basic tort case for injury to your children. Normally, any personal injury lawyer could help on that. PI attorneys normally do not charge fees upfront, but ask for a contingency fee. If the case is successful, the attorney receives a percentage of the damages; if not, the attorney gets nothing.

Because your situation also involves securing eligibility and services for your children, your best help would come from a PI attorney who also has experience in handling special education cases.

You may get some direction in your search for a fitting lawyer from the Center for Law and Education, based in Washington, DC and Boston, MA.

Center for Law and Education, 1875 Connecticut Avenue, NW Suite 510, Washington, DC 20009, Voice: (202) 986-3000, Fax: (202) 986-6648

Center for Law and Education, 43 Winter St., 8th Floor, Boston, MA 02108, Voice: (617) 451-0855, Fax: (617) 451-0857

See also…

Family Law Forum