My boyfriend and I bought a house together but the title is in his name; how do I protect myself in case something should happen to him?

There are several ways you could do that; you could have him make a will; you could re-title the property as joint tenants; you could establish an agreement that provides how and when the property transfers to you; and finally you could put your own lien or mortgage on the property so that in effect you would always be paid before the property could be sold or transferred. The will or re-title options might be easiest and least expensive. We would advise however if this is a significant asset, that you consider spending a few hundred dollars (or less in some cases) to have an attorney document your transaction so you are both protected 100%.

See also…

Real Estate and Property Law