Many doctors, sensing that they have made a medical error, resist turning over copies of medical records to their patients. Your first step should be to write a letter to your doctor requesting your medical records. If that is unsuccessful, you may consider one of the following options:

  • A second letter noting the doctor’s legal obligation to provide you with your medical records, bearing in mind that every state has laws requiring doctors to provide copies of medical records to their patients upon request.
  • Go to your doctor’s office personally and demand that he turn over your medical records. If he will not do so, tell the patients in his waiting room about his refusal to turn over your records. This should make your surgeon more compliant.
  • Ask a lawyer, for a nominal fee, to write a formal letter demanding that the doctor turn over the records.

See also…

Healthcare Law and Malpractice