What is the processing time for the J-1 waiver?

There are two stages. First, the case is filed with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Then, it is filed with United States Information Agency (USIA). Sometimes an Interested Government Agency will also be involved. However, on average, the time span for the entire process is from 3-6 months.

My J-1 waiver has been granted by the USCIS. What is the next step?

You must apply for an H-1B (professional worker visa), and/or permanent residency.

Can I apply for permanent residency while I am on a J-1 visa?

Yes, if you are married to a United States citizen, the citizen can apply on your behalf. However, you cannot change status until the J-1 waiver has been approved.

See also…

F-1 and J-1 Student Visas