Filing a Certificate of Formation with the Secretary of State creates a nonprofit corporation. Designations such as 501(c)(3) relate to federal tax provisions only. If you need information regarding those provisions or how they might affect a Certificate of Formation, you should contact your own tax counsel or the Internal Revenue Service. The Secretary of State’s Form 202 meets minimum state law requirements but does not include any additional statements that the IRS might require for tax-exempt status.