If your fiance(e) is not a citizen of the United States and you plan to get married in the United States, then you must file a petition with USCIS on behalf of your fiance(e). After the petition is approved, your fiance(e) must obtain a visa issued at a U.S. Embassy or consulate abroad. The marriage must take place within 90 days of your fiance(e) entering the United States. If the marriage does not take place within 90 days or your fiance(e) marries someone other than you (the U.S. citizen filing USCIS Form I-129F – Petition for Alien Fiance), your fiance(e) will be required to leave the United States. Until the marriage takes place, your fiance(e) is considered a nonimmigrant. A nonimmigrant is a foreign national seeking to temporarily enter the United States for a specific purpose. A fiance(e) may not obtain an extension of the 90-day original nonimmigrant admission.

If your fiance(e) intends to live and work permanently in the United States, your fiance(e) should apply to become a permanent resident after your marriage. (If your fiance(e) does not intend to become a permanent resident after your marriage, your fiance(e)/new spouse must leave the country within the 90-day original nonimmigrant admission.) Please note, your fiance(e) will initially receive conditional permanent residence status for two years. Conditional permanent residency is granted when the marriage creating the relationship is less than two years old at the time of adjustment to permanent residence status.

Please note: Your fiance(e) may enter the United States only one time with a fiance(e) visa. If your fiance(e) leaves the country before you are married, your fiance(e) may not be allowed back into the United States without a new visa.

For more information see:

K-1 Fiance and K-3 Spouse Visas

Spouse and Fiance(e) of an American Citizen