How Do I Apply?

If you believe that you are in need of protection, you may wish to make your concern known to the UNHCR or to an international non-profit voluntary agency. If either of these organizations is unavailable to you, you should contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. Where appropriate, a representative from one of these organizations will discuss your situation with you to find out if you might be eligible to apply for resettlement in the United States. If so, you must then complete a packet of forms, and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will conduct a formal interview with you to determine if you qualify for refugee status. If USCIS determines that you should be resettled in the United States as a refugee, the State Department, together with other organizations, will then complete your processing. There are no application fees. Please see the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees Website for contact information, or you may call the High Commissioner’s representative in the United States at (202) 296-5191.

See also…

Immigration Law